Re: Accountability

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
15 Sep 1999 11:48:43 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199909151240.IAA04464@tsx-prime.mit.edu>,
Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

>If it weren't for the input filtering, we would end up with something
>like NT/Windows 2000 --- a huge, bloated kernel, that blue screens
>constantly.

Well, as someone who has to administer a whole bunch of NT machines,
I regret to inform you that NT does _not_ bluescreen constantly at
either of the sites I administer.

I wish it did, for then I could replace it with Linux or xBSD, and
make the users use StarOffice instead of MS-Office.

Is the NT kernel that much larger than Linux? Sure, it takes three
disks to bootstrap it, but a large part of that is drivers and the
stage-1 installer, which is, in my experience, the thing that bloats
up a Linux bootstrap to the point where you either have to use a
compressed root filesystem or (shudder) multiple floppies to
bootstrap.

____
david parsons \bi/ Certainly if I used every ethernet, SCSI, and CD-rom
\/ driver for the bootstrap I'd be pushing two (compressed)
loppies instead of one.