Re: em86 broken with 2.2.12 and above

Phillip Ezolt (ezolt@perf.zko.dec.com)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:50:34 -0400 (EDT)

Michal,
Richard Henderson could certainly tell you more, but I believe that
the floating point emulation code was completely changed. Instead of using
the custom Alpha fp code, the Sparc fp code was dropped in to place. Since
it is C code, everything should work fine. However, you might have found
a bug where the emulated fp behaves like a sparc rather than an alpha.

There are ieee fp standards ambiguities, where several implementations are
acceptable. Alpha chose one way, Sparc chose another.

I wouldn't expect this as much on an 21264 because more fp is built into the
chip, but I'm betting you have a 21064 or 21164.

This will probably be pretty tricky to track down.

However, why don't you try to "strace" em86 on both of the kernels and see
if anything different shows up.

Actually, it is probably something more insidious, like the emulator relying on
a certain fp behavior.

Just a guess.

--Phil

Compaq: Business Critical Servers Division/Benchmark Performance Engineering
---------------- Alpha, The Fastest Processor on Earth --------------------
Phillip.Ezolt@compaq.com |C|O|M|P|A|Q| ezolt@perf.zko.dec.com