Re: Re: New Idea? Capture video settings details in Win98/etc. forXFree86 config

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:19:34 +0200

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 09:16:12AM -0400, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> > Most of the hardware that windows 98 can find in your PC and SUPPORTED
> > in Linux can be found quite easily. Try the latest distributions
> > (Redhat Loxar, Caldera OpenLinux 2.3, SuSE 6.2 etc)
> I pointed this out. Detecting the hardware all or most of the time isn't
> the problem although sometimes detecting ram and clock settings seems
> deficient.

How does windows find these infos? Normally it doesn't even look for it. I
have yet to see a Windows fresh install that does _not_ come up in
640x480x16.

Is there someone working on "Monitor PnP" (DDC?) or something?, that would
probably be the way to go. Steal infos from Windows is not bad, but not
everybody has Windows.

> > Also, Windows like to mess with IRQ's, DMA's and stuff that you'll no
> > neccsary agree to the same settings on Linux...
> The dot clocks, scan frequencies, and to a lesser extent the video mode
> are what's needed. These are the parameters that really need to be tuned
> manually often with XFree86 because you don't have the benefit of details
> of the particular card you have. These should be register settings in
> the video hardware which shouldn't involve any OS details except how to
> get access to them when they are set properly.

Yes. What would be very nice would be a cddb-like hwdb for hardware tuning,
which could be duplicated on a distribution and used for installation. When
the user then changes his settings and inputs new ones, he is asked if he
wants to upload those new settings.

Just for video, sound, monitor, printer settings. All those settings that
are hard, if not impossible, to auto detect, because you don't know what
the user wants.

Nice idea. Anyone? :)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

You can tune a file system, but you can't tuna fish -- man tunefs