Re: Lockups - lost interrupt

Stephen D. WIlliams (sdw@lig.net)
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 01:10:55 +0000

Another datapoint:

I installed 2.2.12 on two servers, both Pentium Celeron 433/128K cache, 256MB
ram, no IDE, no floppy, no sound, text only console, on board Adaptec 2990
Ultra2Wide SCSI, 1 WD 18300 LVD Ultra2 Wide SCSI drive 18GB and onboard
Realtek 100-base-t ethernet. All of this is on the motherboard with a passive
backplane.

One ISA 3Com 515 ethernet card.

One server had no problem, the other locked up hard, requiring a manual fsck.
Thereafter it crashed and rebooted every few minutes.

Unfortunately these have no heads, being co-located, however I was able to
install 2.2.13Pre6 patch from Alan's directory and the problem disappeared
completely.

I do have the LVS (Linux Virtual Server/LinuxDirector) patch applied also.
It's working great except I'm having trouble keeping the loopback aliases from
generating ARP replies... (The subject of my next message.)

sdw

Mike Black wrote:

> I've been having some lockups on numerous version of the 2.2 series
> (10,11,12) in both SMP and non-SMP mode.
>
> Usually the machine is just locked up hard (alt-sys-req does not work).
>
> This last time though, some scsi timeouts, ide "lost interrupt" messages,
> and ethernet timeouts were showing up on the screen. I still could not do
> anything with alt-sys-req.
>
> When an IDE timeout occurred the IDE drive showed some activity followed by
> the "hda lost interrupt" message.
>
> It looks like the system was losing ALL interrupts which would also explain
> why the keyboard wasn't working.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Is this a bad
> motherboard? CPU?

OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw@lig.net   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st
43392 Wayside Cir,Ashburn,VA 20147-4622 703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax 5Jan1999