Re: Unkillable processes

Thomas Habets (thomas@habets.pp.se)
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:37:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

>> Today I got 66 unkillable 'autologout's. They were not zombies but could
>> not be killed. ps fax showed no parent.
>
>You mean something like this?
>
> http://www.anime.net/~goemon/bug/

I did not know the 'l' switch to ps so I don't really know.
I can't duplicate the problem since I have no spare box to test on and the
box that had the problem has a lot of users so rebooting it again would be
bad.

I'm pretty sure the problem occured since it could not send mails and
probably froze when trying to do it anyway. The day before I enabled
relaying in sendmail.cf by trial and error :-/ and autologout is run every
10 minutes.

Though the problem is not that they froze but that they could not be
killed.

>> Seems like a bug to me.
>
>Second data point?

What?