Re: Lockups - lost interrupt

Wade Hampton (whampton@staffnet.com)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:40:32 -0400

Mike Black wrote:

> I'm installing the ikd patch on 2.2.12 with Mingo's 2.2.12 raid patch. With
> some luck, it shouldn't take long to find the problem. I've got one script
> that takes about 10 minutes to lockup the machine (locks up in either UP or
> SMP mode).
Dumb question -- where can I get the ikd patch? I could put it on the
Dell (the most repeatable crash) and see if I could find the problem.

One of the Penguins (dual PIII) is running under load over the weekend
on 2.2.11 (yes, I went backwards, but I did not have any crashes with
2.2.11). I'll let you know how well it does Monday AM.

> There
> are about three different cases here
>
> 1. VIA chipset bug - known, understood, non SMP
> 2. A few triton boards - probably a hardware issue
> 3. SMP - looks like a lock bug.
>
> Running the ikd patch is the best help here. I think it will show you a
> spinlock deadlock. The trace from that should find the guilty party
My guess is 3 - a lock bug. Based on the fact that the Dell locks up
with the floppy and the others with NFS/network -- it could be in
multiple
places (same code copied maybe)?

I've been at kid's soccer, piano, etc. today and won't be able to do
any tests until Monday -- the computers that are having problems are
at work. If you have any luck, please let me know!

Cheers,

--
W. Wade, Hampton  <whampton@staffnet.com>