Re: [patch] pci probing

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:31:33 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> > What do you think of this merge of Donald's code, attached? Most of the
> > PCI_COMMAND stuff is net-driver-specific and absent in my patch, as it
> > is not applicable to general use.
> >

> The PCI command stuff isnt net centric. Its a bios bug trap thats
> generally useful. The latency stuff also applies to some other drivers
> and helps to fix the win98 leaving the device off and 0 latency thn the
> bios not restoring.

Turning on I/O and memory decoding at the wrong time can be bad, too.
The BIOS might have disabled certain regions for a reason.

But you're right... :) as soon as I sent the patch, I decided
PCI_PR_ENABLE_IO and PCI_PR_NO_ENABLE_MEM flags were needed, to do the
PCI_COMMAND jazz. (The naming of the flags reflects my opinion that it
is ok to enable mem by default, but not ok to enable I/O decoding by
default)

> Otherwise the merge looks the right thing

Thanks for looking over it.

Regards,

Jeff

--
Custom driver development	|    Never worry about theory as long
Open source programming		|    as the machinery does what it's