Re: [patch] pci probing

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:03:50 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> > PCI probing in drivers really sucks. The attached patch against 2.3.18
> > is small, self-contained, and should be incredibly valuable to PCI
> > driver writers. I myself have duplicated this code in no less than
> > _four_ drivers.
>
> Please don't apply this patch. Don Becker has come to the same conclusion
> and written an even more flexible and clean solution to this that all the
> PCI network drivers will move to.
>
> I've sent Linus this - its in drivers/net for now which is perhaps wrong, but
> it can be moved

Can you elaborate on what my patch lacks? My patch seems much more
flexible than Don's method used in tulip.c and 3c59x.c at least. In
fact if you rip out all the net-driver-specific stuff from struct
pci_id_info, his method looks a lot like mine (without a couple
features).

Regards,

Jeff

--
Custom driver development	|    Never worry about theory as long
Open source programming		|    as the machinery does what it's