RE: I vote for updated RAID and KNFSD

M Carling (m@idiom.com)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:38:17 -0700 (PDT)

Chris Jones writes:
> If someone has fixed a monster bug, or added some badly needed
> functionality you would rather it got delayed by *months* for
> the next stable kernel series?

I don't think anyone has suggested that bug fixes shouldn't make it into
the stable kernels. Even if userland tools need to be updated, bugs should
generally be fixed, though I can imagine rare cases where a workaround
would be better than a fix.

On the other hand, I don't want to see new features added to a "stable"
kernel series whether they require updated userland tools or not. Nor do I
want to see performance enhancements or code clean-ups. Stability is more
important to me.

M Carling