Re: kernel mem for one socket connection.

sergey@memco.com
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:11:09 -0400

Sushil Agrawal <sushil@cse.iitk.ac.in> on 09/10/99 05:13:42 AM

To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
cc: (bcc: Sergey Tsybanov/San Jose/Memco Software)

Subject: kernel mem for one socket connection.

Sushil Agrawal wrote:

>Hi,
> How much kernel memory does a connected socket occupy? I know of
>following :
>For the fields which are declared pointer to some structure, i am taking
>the size of that structure because eventually it will be kmalloced().
>
>- the file table entry (struct file, struct file_operations, struct
>dentry) = 260 bytes.
>
>- the inode table (struct inode, struct inode_operations, struct
>super_block, struct file_lock) >= 716 bytes.
>
>- struct socket + struct proto_ops = 104 bytes.
>
> Other structures in the network subsystem for a connected socket - How

All TCP/IP sockets do share "struct file_operations, struct inode_operations
and struct proto_ops" structures until somebody hack it. And unlike UNIX
"struct socket" is part of "struct inode". I remember somebody mention a right
answer for your question during talking about 15000 connections per one
socket/server.

>Thanks,
>Sushil.

Sergey Tsybanov