Re: driver for 3COM USR PCI v.90 modem?

Morten Rolland (Morten.Rolland@asker.mail.telia.com)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:29:28 +0000

Daniel J Blueman wrote:

> Writing a softmodem driver should be fairly tricky, all in.

It is. Have a look at

http://www.linmodems.org/
http://home.telia.no/Morten.Rolland/linux/i4lfax/

for info on some projects trying to deal with this
kind of problem.

> I must admit, I had a couple of softmodems in computers at home here, but I
> ditched one for a real modem. If I can get some tech docs, I'd try my hand
> at writing a driver. Hmmm...

I think the term 'driver' is misleading; a typical driver
is a "thin" layer that interfaces the hardware and exports
it cleanly. With passive ISDN cards and probably WinModems
to varying degrees, we need DSP algorithms, link-level
handeling, flow-control, state-machines, command
interpreters etc. to make it work.

I'd call it "modem DSP software" instead of a driver,
if for no other reason to illustarte the size of the
task at hand.

The 'i4lfax' project views the driver as the access
method to the medium, and runs the fax/modem DSP software
on top of the driver, in a userspace process (ca. 13000 lines
of code today, twise that including tables).

Regards,
Morten Rolland