Re: I vote for updated RAID and KNFSD

The Doctor What (docwhat@gerf.org)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:26:32 -0500

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 02:12:15PM +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> Talking about confusing: Some people (rightly, I think) feel that
> within a stable release, you shouldn't be required to upgrade userland
> tools. A system installed with 2.2.0 should be seamlessly upgradeable
> to 2.2.12. Everyone knows that when you go from 2.0.x to 2.2.x, you
> might (and as it happens, WILL) have to upgrade a few userland
> packages, but within a stable kernel release, an upgrade shouldn't
> lead to an avalange of user-space-program upgrades.
>
> As I understand things, the RAID code works for some who hate to have
> to upgrade their tools "for nothing", but not for others, who hate to
> have to keep on patching their kernel.

Well, I would like to say that RAID is not yet *non-experimental* yet. I
can see not requiring tool upgrades for things that are stable (like
binutils, or lilo, or something like that). But RAID isn't yet 1.0.

It is mood though. Mingo has spoken, RAID is not going in 2.2. I can agree
with his descision, it makes sense.

KNFSD is another story, but even that is looking like it will be taken
care of. So all is becoming well. I am happy.

Ciao!

--
Now is the time for all good men to come to.
	 -- Walt Kelly

The Doctor What: A Holtje Production             http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                    (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC