RE: I vote for updated RAID and KNFSD

Chris Jones (chris@black-sun.co.uk)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:13:54 +0100

Hi

Wolff
> Sent: 09 September 1999 12:12
> To: Stefan Monnier
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: I vote for updated RAID and KNFSD

[...]

> Talking about confusing: Some people (rightly, I think) feel that
> within a stable release, you shouldn't be required to upgrade
userland

Why not? If someone has fixed a monster bug, or added some badly
needed functionality you would rather it got delayed by *months* for
the next stable kernel series?
No thanks. I'd rather just read Documentation/Changes and upgrade a
couple of tools and take advantage of the new features/less bugs.

> packages, but within a stable kernel release, an upgrade shouldn't
> lead to an avalange of user-space-program upgrades.

I really don't see this as a problem. Anyone who is compiling their
own kernels should really be RTFM'ing as they go. If they don't, that
is entirely their fault. If the user is relying on vendor supplied
packages to upgrade their kernel (e.g. rpms) they should be warned
when they install the package that they need to upgrade some userland
stuff (e.g. the rpms will have dependancies in them).

All your plan does is massively delay people getting their hands on
better/more stable systems.

I think this is a knee-jerk reaction against the kernel development
model based on the experience with one section of the kernel (RAID). I
appreciate that an upgrade of the RAID tools may mean that old RAID
arrays are completely useless and need to be rebuilt. That is
something which should obviously be avoided if possible, but to
promote a complete ban on anything that requires a 5 minute upgrade of
a userland tool or two is madness imho.

/me hands over the $0.02

- ---
| __ -| | .'| _| '_|___|__ | | | | chris@black-sun.co.uk
S o f t w a r e

"Linux is beating Windows" - David Cole, Microsoft Executive