Re: I vote for updated RAID and KNFSD

The Doctor What (docwhat@gerf.org)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:00:41 -0500

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 12:25:48PM -0700, M Carling wrote:

> I agree that having to deal with old patches is bad, but it is a known
> risk in using non-standard patches, even if they are widely used. Because
> the RAID code changed in a way that was not backwards-compatible, a choice
> must be made between breaking a standard kernel feature in a stable kernel
> and leaving people using the currently non-standard (from a kernel
> perspective) feature with the hassle of patch incompatibilities. Both
> options are bad. Getting a stable 2.4 out with the new RAID code solves
> both problems.
>
> If Alan and Linus were to go along with my suggestion and accept only bug
> fixes into 2.2, there might be fewer 2.2.x releases to trip you up, and
> each one would have less code changed so the old patches would be more

Overall, I am pleased with this thread. I was referring to 2.2 for both
KNFSD and RAID, but RAID can wait till 2.4. As the Marvelous Mr. Mingo
(I'm sure that's not his last name, but it alliterates so well) has said
he will do his upmost to get RAID done for the 2.3 tree, I am happy.

I would hope that till 2.4, Alan and Co. will take care (I'm very sure
they will, though) that they don't massively break RAID unexpectly.

I have been told, but I don't know, that large amounts of the RAID .90
stuff cannot easily co-exist with the RAID currently in the 2.2 tree,
making a configuration option difficult. I was wondering if parts of the
RAID 0.90 can't be merged into 2.2, that don't break current RAID stuff.

I don't have the time right now to look into it and learn what it all
does. :(

Ciao!

--
Once we thought if we sat a million monkeys down at a million typewriters we'd get the works of Shakespeare. Now that we have the Web, we know this isn't true.

The Doctor What: Guru to the Gods                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                    (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC