Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4372

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 01:24:32 +0200

On Sun, Aug 29 1999, Walter Hofmann wrote:
> > Same kernel (2.2.12).
> > Same CD-ROM drive, same Rev of drive:
> > TOSHIBA Model: CD-ROM XM-6201TA Rev: 1030
> > Different SCSI card:
> > (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 15/0
> >
> > Cannot reproduce problem here - CD-ROM door locks just fine when a CD-ROM
> > is mounted.
> >
> > Just in case it helps anyone...
>
> Sorry, false alert. This only happens after someone has used vmware on the
> computer. OTOH it is strange that Linux can't lock the door even after
> vmware has terminated.

I think that VMWare actually disables door locking and control it
manually with an ioctl to get complete control over it. That's
what they told me, anyway, but not having the source does not
allow me to check. It sounds like that is causing problems -
I bet that they never re-enable door locking again. Take the
problem up with them.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer