Re: PROBLEM: Kernel hangs and/or becomes unstable

Piotr Wilkin (pwilkin@astercity.net)
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:14:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Prashant TR wrote:

> There are two bugs:
>
> 1> Kernel Crashes
> 2> Kernel becomes very unstable
>
> I'm not sure what can be done about the 1st bug since I don't know how
> to reproduce it but the other one is highly reproducible.
>
> My system configuration:
>
> CPU: Intel Pentium (P54C) with F00F bug. (stepping 0Ch)
> Kernel version: 2.2.5-15
> Kernel Modules: 2.2.121
> GNU C: egcs-2.91.66
> Binutils: 2.9.1.0.23
> Linux C Library: 2.1.1
> Dynamic linker: ldd (GNU libc) 2.1.1
> Procps: 2.0.2
> Mount: 2.9o
> Net Tools: (1999-01-31)
> Kbd: [option...]
> Sh-utils: 1.16
> Modules loaded: nls_iso8859-1 nls_cp437 vfat vfat opl3 sb uart401 sound
> soundlow soundcore
>
> BUG 1: (UNKNOWN REASON)
>
> The kernel hanged when I was playing DOOM. It uses SVGALIB and I feel
> it has something to do with the I/O permissions or the sound driver.
> But I couldn't reproduce this bug.
>
> The CPU "froze" and nothing worked. I could not even switch to another
> console or reboot the system. Ctrl-Alt-Del failed. Only the sound was
> being played perfectly. It was apparent that the CPU had halted
> completely since there was no sound from both my hard drives and
> nothing else was responding.
>
> All this happened when I was in the superuser mode. There was no other
> console where I had logged on.

I have to say that I experienced a similar problem while playing squake
(SVGALib). The game also froze without any warning and the sound was the
only thing that remained working.

I have SoundBlaster support built in the kernel, with low level SB AWE synth
added.

Absolutely nothing was recorded in either syslog and kern.log, and the SysRQ
key failed to work.

Another weird thing I noticed is that the kernel saw that my card was an AWE
card only when I previously loaded the _DOS_ drivers for the card. In other
cases it saw the card as a SoundBlaster, but it failed to load the AWE synth.

I hope this adds more detail to the problem.
- -------
Sincerely
Piotr Wilkin
pwilkin@astercity.net