Re: Streaming disk I/O: don't use raw, limit bufs per device/partition

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:11:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Donald Becker wrote:

> >IO is IO, whether it is raw or not. And it will eat up resources from
> >everybody else trying to do IO.
> >
> >I think this is a case of believing in magic cures and supernatural
> >beings.
>
> We solved a similar problem by limiting the buffering per device/partition to
> a subset of the buffer cache (75%, tunable), rather than hacking in raw
> devices.

This, I think, is definitely the right kind of approach to take.

I do not believe in raw IO - even for streaming audio it's just too common
for the data to have been available in the cache, and by using raw IO you
(for absolutely no good reason) just made the machine do more IO than it
should have.

There are very specific cases where the application knows that its dataset
is larger than physical memory, but those tend to be limited to quite
large problems. And they're getting larger.

But having a better way to decide what to throw out - that I am a strong
believer in.

Linus "raw IO - just say no" Torvalds