Re: VIA chipset hangs???

Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:44:21 +0100 (IST)

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:
> I agree. I have a TMC TI5VG+ / Via MVP3 chipset board with both the
> options set and it's been quite stable.

I will repeat : the lockups only happen with certain cards.

any clues as to which cards? Mine has Buslogic BT-958, £Com 595,
Matrox G200SD AGP and an Avance Logic ALS100 ISA soundcard in it.

Also, i enabled PCI quirks, which printed out a message at boot-time
about working around ISA-DMA hangs. Which printed out the following:

Aug 8 02:40:53 hibernia kernel: PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at
0xfb550
Aug 8 02:40:53 hibernia kernel: PCI: Using configuration type 1
Aug 8 02:40:53 hibernia kernel: PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Aug 8 02:40:53 hibernia kernel: PCI: 00:38 [1106/0586]: Work around
ISA DMA han
gs (00)
Aug 8 02:40:53 hibernia kernel: Activating ISA DMA hang workarounds.

-Dan

Machine has been up since the date mentioned in the logs. So perhaps
it's already a known and accounted for bug?

Do the people who's machines hang have pci quirks enabled?

regards,

--
Paul Jakma
paul@clubi.ie	http://hibernia.clubi.ie