Re: fdomain + CD-ROM access -> kernel panic

Dean Martin Townsley (townsley@physics.ucsb.edu)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:15:47 -0700

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 Chuck Mead wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Dean Martin Townsley spewed into the bitstream:
>
> > I am using
> > Linux version 2.2.12 (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release))
> > on an RH 6.0 system (this has also occured with 2.2.10 and 2.2.11) with a
> > AHA2920 (fdomain) scsi adaptor, a VIA motherboard, AMD K6-3D, and an Acer
> > CRW-6206A cd-r/w drive.
> >
> > I can panic the system by copying a few tens of Megs of files from the CD
> > drive (through ide-cd) to the scsi disk. The system panics after the
> > message:
>
> Does it do the same thing when ftp'ing from the LAN? Ours does, which tells me
> the problem doesn't relate to cdrom file xfers. I applied Alan's suggestion when
> he passed it on to me and I haven't had a reoccurence, though I haven't tested
> it hard either... just normal ops. Perhaps I need to test it now to help out
> with this!

I tried it this morning and it worked fine ftp'ing about 80 Meg of files
across a 10baseT network (without Alan's fix). Also as I mentioned in my
IDE CD. I wish I had another CD-ROM drive to try but I don't my other one
went bad a while back. If it's a timing problem I guess it's plausible that
both the net and the CD on your machine could trigger it, while only the CD
does so on mine (so far), but I'm no expert by a long shot.

Thanks for your reply!
-Dean Townsley
<townsley@physics.ucsb.edu>