Re: Quota and memory requirements question

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:06:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, BOSZORMENYI Zoltan wrote:

> A local ISP asked me to ask this question.
> They have ~3500 users on a machine that had 128M
> memory and they use quota on that machine.
>
> They frequently get messages from random programs
> that cannot fork. init, pop3d and other programs
> appear in the logs complaining about this.
>
> It happens with many kernelversions with quota
> turned on. It does not happen with quota turned off.
> They doubled the memory in that machine almost a week
> ago and the errors haven't showed up since then.
>
> The question is: is it normal? 128M is not enough
> for quota against 3500 users? It should be documented
> somewhere that kernel service X eats Y amount of memory
> with Z number of users, at least some rough estimates.

strange. quota memory usage itself is limited by /proc/sys/fs/dquot-max,
the number should be multiplied by about ~100 bytes if i'm correct. The
default thus shows 100*1024==100k permanently allocated kernel memory -
this hardly should cause any problems on a 128M box.

-- mingo