Re: Turtle Beach Sound Card Driver (off topic?)

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:40:45 -0500

John Strange wrote:
> Turtle Beach has offered us a challenge a friend at work wrote them about
> drivers for his aureal 8330 based sound card, they responded with this.
>
> Let's fire up those emails! :)

As a reminder to the list, and to anyone who wants drivers
for Turble Beach hardware, visit www.alsa-project.org (the Advanced
Linux Sound Architecture project). Here you will find the efforts
of an on-going project to implement an advanced new sound a
architecture for Linux, with very capable drivers for many popular cards
(my Turtle Beach Malibu, CS4237B chipset works great).

It's great that Voyetra wants to see Linux supported, or is at least
smart enough to see that selling more cards to satisfied customers is
a _good_thing_ (some companies these days don't seem to get that), but
hopefully we all realize how silly the concept of proprietary device
drivers are in an open system. (Gee, I already paid for this device
once, at the store; why should I have to pay again in license
fees and the pain and aggravation of always being behind the
kernel release curve while I look for binary modules at my
vendor's site?)

--
Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@abisource.com)