Re: Serial protocol bug in the 2.1.x through 2.2.12 kernels

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:02:11 -0400

From: Dean Salvadore <deansalv@home.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 16:10:27 (PDT)

I believe I have discovered a bug in something that effects transfers
of data over a serial line (not on a modem). The problem is that the
above kernels somehow break kermit, xmodem, zmodem etc., transfers
over a direct connection. I discovered this when I tried to use
kermit to talk to my HP 48Gx calculator and my Palm Pilot IIIx. Both
of these devices can be communicated with using the same cables on my
Solaris box.

Umm.... how does it break? You haven't given me any information about
your setup. What RS-232 lines are involved? Are the modem control
lines connect? What about CTS/RTS? What are your termios settings? If
the modem control lines aren't connected, better make sure CLOCAL is
set. If CTS/RTS aren't connect, better make sure CRTSCTS are clear.
I can't really debug this with the small amount of information you've
given me.....

Here is a post that illustrates the problem and a possible cause for
such;

Errr... the post you sent was about what appears to be an unrelated bug
report involving a radio modem. Why are you convinced it is the same
problem? From their description, they don't sound related at all.

Where did you find that post, and do you have the e-mail addresses of
the people who sent that post. They seem to be very confused, and I'd
like to help them out, but I'll need their e-mail address. For
example, it's not clear why the enabled CRTSCTS if they said that "flow
control must be disabled".

- Ted