Re: [alsa-devel] Re: [rtl] Low-latency patches working GREAT (<2.9ms audio latency), see testresults

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:52:12 -0600

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 10:40:02AM -0700, Brian Swetland wrote:
> [yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu]
> Well, as you point out, BeOS is not a hard realtime system, however
> the fact that the filesystem, block cache, drivers, etc are all
> preemptable means you can get some pretty decent response. Interrupt
> response from timers or IO interrupts in the 30-60us range is certainly
> doable. It'd be neat to actually put together some benchmarks to
> compare this sort of thing.

It would be quite interesting. My prediction is that the fully premptable
nature of the system makes high bandwidth i/o unlikely. I'd really like
some data though.

> Networking on BeOS is not stellar, but it's servicable and performance
> issues are being worked on. Raw disk IO is actually pretty good, to my
> knowledge, though obviously real numbers are what you want here and

Raw disk and FS performance are really different. DOS gets decent raw
disk performance, but our experience is that app ports to RTLinux get
an enormous benefit from ext2.

> Again we're not hard-realtime and we don't cure the common cold.

Oh