Re: Celeron doesn't reach proper BogoMIPS

Wolfram-Peter Stilz (p@mailadrgen.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:51:17 +0200 (MEST)

Is it possible to disable thermal throttling?

> Date: 28 Aug 1999 10:15:12 GMT
> From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: Celeron doesn't reach proper BogoMIPS

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 398.712348
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx osfxsr
bogomips : 97.89

> > .... that somehow the correct number of MHz has been detected. The
> > number makes me suspect that it really is a measurement and not a
> > value from an eeprom or something like that.
> >

> That it is; it compares the CPU time stamp counter to the timer
> clock. However, if you're doing thermal throttling (STPCLK asserted),
> then the TSC will still advance.
>
> -hpa

I'm no expert..

I disabled power-management completely in the bios-configuration-tool
of the Notebook

is there anything that can be done to have no thermal throttling?
("un"assert STPCLK ?)

Peter