Re: 2.3.15 ifconfig oops

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:44:25 +0100

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 07:26:50PM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> > AFAICT, diff and patch preserve file modification times.
>
> I just tested with patch 2.5 -- it does not (not by default anyhow,
> there might be a flag to tell it to do so, but I can't see one
> specifically for this purpose).

I think we're talking at cross purposes. By default, patch sets the mtime on
patched files to the current time. There're options -T and -Z which will set
the time on the patched files to the mtime stored in the (context) diff, but
this is generally Wrong. The default behaviour should work just fine -- all
the changed source and header files will appear newer than the object files
that depend on them, so there should be no problem.

--
"His mind is like a steel trap -- full of mice"