Re: idea: MAC level compression & crypto

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
29 Aug 1999 00:38:31 GMT

Followup to: <37C86123.2CF49E43@Mutz.com>
By author: Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > > Tell that to the US government. It sucks basically.
> >
> > When I was working on security systems (back when I lived in Ireland)
> > we couldn't put hooks in our code either because the French government
> > would not accept the software if we did. You couldn't even put the
> > crypto stuff inside a shared library in case someone preloaded
> > something else... I guess it's not just the US government.
> >
> So how do the 'hooks' for XOR and DES encryption in the util-linux
> package (mount/lo{mount,setup}.c) fit into this picture? Is that not
> considered a crypto hook?

It's a generic data-transformation interface. The distinction may
seem meaningless but that's just a reflection of how ridiculous the
regulations are.

-hpa

N.B. "I'm not a lawyer. This is not legal advice."