Re: Little-known features of El Torito Spec

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
28 Aug 1999 10:53:57 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.10.9908290752130.10465-100000@speedy.shearer.org>,
<dan@shearer.org> wrote:
>Anyone who has sweated to build a 2.88 CD boot image from syslinux and the
>skinniest fat kernel possible will understand why I'm posting this. There
>is only a minor impact on the kernel, but overall it could make quite a
>difference to the way Linux installations are done.

2.88?

From this distributer's point of view, a 2.88mb boot image would be
the promised land; I'm still trying to fit everything on a 1.44mb
boot image so people can boot off a floppy as well as off the CD. A
2.88 boot image would give me another meg and a half for kernel
and/or pcmcia+ethernet lkms, which would probably solve my disk
space woes for another 2 years (3 more major releases, each adding
100+k to the basic kernel size, plus another 100+k per version for
lkms.) But if I did that, I'd be screwed on machines that don't
allow CD booting (which I may be anyway when I rev Mastodon from
a 2.0.28 kernel to 2.4/3.0 :-()

____
david parsons \bi/ Not happy at the thought of giving up my CD-only
\/ install on my VAIO 505.