Re: Oracle and Linux (hand in hand)

Steve Willer (willer@interlog.com)
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:07:05 -0400 (EDT)

---1463811740-2002575237-935856425=:10971

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Matthew wrote:

> I've read tuning tips wrt Oracle on Linux. Most say to increase SHMMAX and the
> semaphores. I ask you this, what _real_ difference does it make? Am I going
> to be able to see the difference on a VA3500 (quad pent III 550,512M RAM)? I'd
> much rather use a stock kernel, but I'll hack for the good of my users.

If my experience with Sybase is any guide, then the effect of increasing
SHMMAX is it might make your DB run. There's no performance issue there;
it needs to be able to allocate huge amounts of shared memory (whatever
you have it configured for). Please note that in order to *reference* lots
of shared memory, you need to increase _SHM_IDX_BITS; if you don't, then
your DB will be able to allocate the shared memory but will crash when it
starts accessing the end bits.

I use the attached patch for a DB server with 1GB RAM. I think it let me
configure up to 885MB shared memory size on Sybase. There are no negative
side-effects other than that you can have fewer shared memory segments
(you have to trade number of segments for max size of segments).

---1463811740-2002575237-935856425=:10971
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---1463811740-2002575237-935856425=:10971--