URGENT README :: Rogier (Re: DMA Disabled.)

Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:19:19 -0700 (PDT)

You got it right Rogier.
There is an uncorrectable timing chatter between the DMA mode 2 WD31600
and the UDMA Maxtor 92720U8. This is really problematic on the all PIIXx
chipsets that I have observed. It has nothing to do with Intel's
hardware, it is an issue between the two drive venders.

WD + Maxtor (same channel) == cat and dog in bag.
(One animal is going to damage the other.)

Disable all DMAing for data safety and split the devices to separate
channels. I do not care what is where. I fear that you will find
FS-Corruption from the hardware level. I spent four weeks and daily
reinstalls to finally pick up the phone and call Maxtor.
(Note that WD does not care about Linux, not a viable OS).

There is on a pretty way to impliment this kind of detection, or I would
have.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy