Re: APM: Core-dumps while power-down

Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:35:58 +1000

Hi all,

Raphael Bossek <raphael.bossek@solutions4linux.de> writes:
> Hi Alan,
>
> > Because nobody has written it ?
> i'm reading this mailing-ling for a long time now and i can remember
> that the maintainer of the APM kernel-code (forgot his name, sorry)
> posted
> here a patch that switch back to real-mode before calling the power-down
> APM function within the BIOS. Testing the new kernel showed that nothing
> changed.
> I thing that there are meny people that write to the kernel-code
> maintainers
> or does not know where they should post if there have trouble. Asking my
> linux frinds, no one subscribed to linux-kernel list or any kind of nntp
> board
> so i write perhaps for many linux users on earth using linux :-)
>
> How could i describe my problem ?! The best way would be a patch that
> solve this
> but with my expirience of linux-kernel programming ;) i thing i change
> my computer
> faster than program a working patch !

I am the APM maintainer (look in the MAINTAINERS file ...) and I did
not post such a patch. I think it has been posted by two other people
and has been posted at least four times. Please look in the mailing
list archives. I have kept a copy for when I get time to look at
it, but finding it is a pain ...

I will have time to work on APM in a couple of weeks (when I change
jobs), so if you all don't mind waiting until then, I may get around
to trying to get Linus/Alan to integrate the real mode power down patch
for those who need it.

Cheers,
Stephen

--