Re: Cache incoherencies

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:45:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> The number of different "classes" of memory is growing rapidly. I am
> suggesting to take a look at GFP, to see if it can be generalized to
> the point where it can be useful for multiple DMA-capable ranged. Alan
> says that there is a 27-bit limit for a certain sound-card. Sure.
> There is a 32bit limit for many PCI cards. etc.

On 13 Jul 1999 Zygo Blaxell made an (IMHO elegant) proposal for a
generalized allocation mechanism that could handle any kind of alignment /
memory range requirements for _any_ device:

http://kernelnotes.org/lnxlists/linux-kernel/lk_9907_02/msg00702.html

Some PCI cards are limited to less than 30 bits range! And other cards
have odd alignment requirements. Zygo's proposal covers them all.

-Dan