Re: Ultra DMA/66

Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 22:40:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Pete Toscano wrote:

> does this mean that it won't work if you use the "pci=reverse"? my only
> ide drive hangs off a promise ultra66 card and i've gotten the board
> (an asus p2b-d) to boot off of it... i guess the pci=reverse stuff doesn't
> really matter if you just setup the fstab correctly, eh?

I assume that your onboard chipset is disabled then?
Does it come up as hda or hde?
If it was that simple, it would have made the statement.
Enable the onboard controllers and attach any device and see the fun.
It is harmless, since it can not find the root partition the drive is not
accessed. Do expect a kernel barf.

> oh, is the command to "turn on" dma/66 "idex=ultra66"? i think i did

It is "idex=ata66" for possible generic support of known chipsets.

> something wrong because everytime i boot, i get some complaint about
> "wrong kernel option" (i'm not sure what it is exactly -- it's my home
> machine and i'm at work now) and the drive looks like it's in pio mode.
>
> btw, am i correct in that your dma/66 patch was not merged into 2.2.12?

I do not know yet, but suppect not.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy