Re: How to setup Linux server use > 64MB RAM

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
26 Aug 1999 16:33:52 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199908261735.NAA02368@netspace.org>,
Brian Perkins <bperkins@netspace.org> wrote:

>> But this is more a problem whith bogus bioses than whith kernel.
>> unfortunately, this is on what final users'll judge linux.
>
>If that's really all we're worried about, perhaps a kernel module that
>used some sort of hack to detect the amount of memory could be used
>(say by writing random values to memory and reading them back).

There are three common methods that bioses use for detecting
memory: 0x88, which gives you 0->64mb (or 0->16mb, if you're
a Compaq); 0xe801, which gives you 0->4gb, and 0xe820, which
gives you a 64-bit wide address map. Most every bios out there
supports the first (but it's useless), lots of bioses from 4-5
years ago supported the second, but a lot of modern bioses use
the third (which is the method Microsoft prefers) and stub off
the second.

I'd be surprised if many bioses didn't support one of these
three calls, and I'd be really surprised if many modern bioses
didn't support e801 or e820.

____
david parsons \bi/ And if I'm very lucky, I'll get the new version
\/ of the fancy memory patch into my test lab before
the freeze rolls over the horizon.