Re: Async user space notification from kernel?

Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:08:20 -0600

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 12:54:35PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Erik Andersen wrote:
> > Select(2) on /proc is indeed disappointing -- it does nothing
> > useful.
>
> I still wonder if this is because 'read' is the only proc operation that
> is filled in... All of the net routines share
> 'proc_net_inode_operations'.
>
> Jeff

Ok, I follow you now -- select(2) depends on certain fs file
operations that no /proc entries currently provide. By adjusting the
file_operations, and providing some needed magic, I could indeed use
select on a /proc entry to get async event notification to user space.
That would be a very elegant solution.

Any hints as to what file_ops are needed to support select?
Clearly read and write are not sufficient. flush? poll?

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org