Re: 2.2.11 ppp slowdown && issues

Karl Peterson (kpeterson@thetpa.com)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:12:25 +0000

Joe wrote:

> b) I have had a ton of ppp problems too, like ppp not dying
> when I disconnect, a flood of characters come into the buffer
> after I attempt to disconnect (string of garbage). The 2
> computers do not exchange tones correctly upon connection, they
> start to then my modem just seems to "scream" and hang until I
> kill pppd.
Sometimes, (under 2.2.11) I have to kill pppd 3 or 4 times before it
hangs up and dies. Also, after connecting, it takes a few minutes for
the interface to come up. During this time, pppd does not appear to
lock the device. I don't think this is a problem with pppd, because it
worked fine when I was using kernel ver. 2.2.5. I've just had to deal
with it.

> I must admit that the 2.2 kernels area getting better, but it
> seems like I am experiencing more severe problems than I did
> with the 2.0 kernels.

I have to agree. I haven't had anything that locks up the machine (the
Magic SysRq key is a life saver), but some things just don't seem to
work quite right.