Re: 2.2.11 ppp slowdown && issues

rmk@arm.linux.org.uk
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 05:23:11 -0400 (EDT)

Joe writes:
> a) I used to experience ppp connection slowdowns at about 5
> minutes (or less) after connection, now that has changed to
> after about a 40min to 1 hour connection the ppp link just
> starts to go to a crawl, and ping wont ping.

This is most likely something to do with the modem/ISP rather than
you machine.

My experiance so far with 2.2.11 and pppd 2.3.8 is that it is 100%
stable. I run pppd on two serial ports on one of my machines, both
at 115kbps. One of them connects to the 'net via a 33k6 modem
(which incidentally almost never connects at 33k6, but normally
at 31k2 and drops to 26k4 from time to time), the other one runs
is deflate compressed to my laptop, which I am able to run netscape
quite happily for hours on end displaying on another machine (ie,
netscape has to talk to the display over the compressed serial link).

I have only applied one of the patches on Alan's site to the stock
2.2.11 kernel (and of course my ARM patches which do not touch the
ppp subsystem), and so far I have not had to reboot any of my
machines.

> b) I have had a ton of ppp problems too, like ppp not dying
> when I disconnect, a flood of characters come into the buffer
> after I attempt to disconnect (string of garbage). The 2
> computers do not exchange tones correctly upon connection, they
> start to then my modem just seems to "scream" and hang until I
> kill pppd.

This is almost certainly your modem. Modems are designed such that
they either accept commands, or transmit data. While they are in
data mode, the line should sound like it's got a lot of noise on it.
If it starts to "scream", then either the modem has dropped to a very
low baud rate (low baud rates use what's called FSK, where you have
just two tones, one for a '0' and another for '1'), or your modem has
hung. What modem do you have? (please reply in private mail).
_____
| | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
/ | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\