Re: DVD-RAM-Support in 2.3???

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:26:59 +0200 (MEST)

Linus,

DVD-RAM support is still a problem. I have a patch that makes selected
drives that pretend to be a CDROM drive also show up as an optical
device. Do you have a suggestion on how to do this better than my
patch?

My patch adds another flag to the "list formerly known as blacklist"
that tells the kernel to view the drive both as a removeable disk, and
a CDROM drive. Some drives present themselves as a CDROM and a
removable optical drive at two different LUNs. Now we do this in
software.

IMHO, the SCD driver should eventually be discarded and integrated
into the SD driver (A CD is simply a readonly, removable disk with
audio capabilities). However, this is a major undertaking, for which I
simply don't have the time.

Best regards,

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------