Re: Virtual Console corruption

Cormac McGaughey (C.McGaughey@st-vincents.ie)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:27:29 +0100

Hi

Some older Mach32 cards had odd timing issues that were causing video
memory corruptions. Perhaps something isn't getting cleared from
memory quick enough?

Mostly these problems seemed to involve xfree and other graphics
applications, but most have since been fixed by better drivers.

See: http://lom.pvrr.ru/unix/X332doc/ati15.html

Did you try altering the rom location incase you're getting a
conflict with something else?

http://support.atitech.ca/technote/tnm32.html

Regards
Cormac

On 24 Aug 99, at 19:04, The Lost Wizard wrote:

> I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this problem. When I switch
> between virtual consoles (ALT-F1, etc.), I often get several random
> characters/attributes showing up in random locations on the screen. While
> the majority of the screen is intact, several switches in and out of a
> terminal, it becomes garbled to the point the information in it is
> useless. In the event it helps:
>
> Kernel: 2.3.14 (problem occurred on 2.2 kernels as well)
> System: 486 DX 33Mhz, 48MB RAM
> Video: ATI Mach32, 2MB video RAM
>
> Even just knowing why it happens would make me happy. :)
>
> William Astle
> "Floppity, floppity, flip / The mouse on the mobius strip; / The strip
> revolved, / The mouse disolved / In a chronodimensional skip."

> -

Cormac McGaughey
Operations Manager,
St. Vincents University Hospital