Re: Installing linux via serial port

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
25 Aug 1999 16:32:03 +0200

In article <cistron.Pine.BSF.4.10.9908250955030.42373-100000@pawn.primelocation.net>,
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Peter Liniker wrote:
>> >Ahhh, I stand corrected. It *would* be nice to see this as a more
>> >visible option for installation for those of us who do not tend to have
>> >video cards/monitors on their servers.
>>
>> so how is this option enabled?
>>
>According to linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt, simple specify:
> 'console=device,options'
>(device=ttySx, options may include serial port speed, etc.)
>e.g.: 'console=ttyS1,9600'
> -or-
> 'console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0' to use either serial or the
>video card.

If you read some more you will also see the following:

If no console device is specified, the first device found capable of
acting as a system console will be used. At this time, the system
first looks for a VGA card and then for a serial port. So if you don't
have a VGA card in your system the first serial port will automatically
become the console.

So simply pull out the VGA card and connect a terminal @ 9600 baud
to the first serial port.

However, I don't know if the installation process uses /dev/console
(and if it indeed is the new c 5 1 device), /dev/tty0 or /dev/tty1 ...

Also, /dev/console will never be a controlling tty, so you need to
open the actual console device i.e. /dev/tty0 or /dev/ttyS0.

Mike.

--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
	-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"