Re: Diald and 2.3.13+ development kernels.

Thomas Molina (tmolina@home.com)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:22:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, William Stearns wrote:

> Good day, Mike,
> Thanks very much for taking over the diald package. I and many
> others appreciate your efforts to keep it updated.
>
> Have you been following the "ppp and 2.3.13" discussion on
> linux-kernel? If I might summarize, it appears that when the ppp code
> moved to the new 2.3.9 pppd code in kernel 2.3.13, diald and the kernel
> started fighting. My laptop, which had been able to successfully connect
> via diald in 2.2.x and 2.3.12- kernels, lost the ability.
>
> I have found that diald works fine with pppd 2.3.9. The problem is that
> diald does *not* seem to work with kernel version 2.3.1[34].
> pppd 2.3.9 works for me with kernels 2.3.1[14], and diald+pppd 2.3.9
> works with 2.2.x, but diald+pppd 2.3.9 with kernels 2.3.1[34] seems to
> time out before completing the connection.
> This has been tested with diald 0.16 and 0.99.1.

Have you tried the demand dialing option? When we were required to move
to pppd 2.3.5 during the 2.1 development cycle, that option started
working for me. I've since went with a cable modem so I can't test
whether it still works. It required some changes to the
/etc/ppp/options file which looked like thus:

[root@wr5z ppp]# cat options
demand \
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx \
idle 300 \