Re: Kernels > 1M

Zack Weinberg (zack@bitmover.com)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:32:42 -0700

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Balazs Miklos wrote:
> > Why don't you try GRUB? It's free, and it already can load Linux, but it's
> [...]
> > http://www.uruk.org/grub
>
> Is there more up-to-date information than this?
>
> The on-line NEWS file stops dating its entires in 1996 (though two
> later, undated revs exist), and the FTP URL listed for the sources is
> wrong.

Erich Boleyn doesn't have time anymore, but it's being worked on by
some of the Hurd people. See http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.html.
There's a mailing list and a CVS repo available.

I looked at teaching our bootstrap about the "Multiboot" format that
GRUB likes. We'd have to move all of the setup done by 16-bit code
into setup_arch, which wouldn't be that bad except that part of it
calls back to the BIOS. Probably the APM code could be adapted to do
that. GRUB will probe memory (same as david parsons' experimental
memmap patch) but it won't do any of the other probing.

It'd be really great if we could do this, because the zImage, bzImage,
etc. nonsense would just disappear and `vmlinux' would be bootable,
gzipped or not.

zw