Re: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:51:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

> A better thing (I think) I was thinking about would be to have
> it so that only people on the list could post to it, and posts w/
> '[lk]' in the subject. Then if someone posts w/o being on the list
> (Or part of the digest or whatever), and the email doesn't have '[lk]'
> in the Subject coming in, it gets bounced back w/ instructions to plop
> '[lk]' in the subject and re-submit, and/or it can be forwarded to
> some person(s) for manual checking of the message, and they can
> resubmit it to the list w/ [lk] in the subject if it looks
> reasonable...

This is doable, but it would require a bit of hacking to Majordomo.
Problem is, a lot* of people tend to post from addresses different from
their subscribe address. MJ1.9x (which vger uses) doesn't understand the
concept of subscribers having more than one address, but the alpha MJ2
does. It makes cross-posting challenging too, unless all the lists use the
same token.

At any rate, I'll be happy to write a patch if the list owners are
interested. I may even have time for it this evening.