Re: Linux 2.2.12pre

Roy C. Bixler (rcb@press-gopher.uchicago.edu)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:58:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
> 2.2.12pre:
>
> ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/alan/2.2
>
> Fix
> o Fix the TCP memory leak (Dave Miller)
<snip>
> Add
> o Enhanced Raid (Ingo Molnar)
<snip>

I upgraded a Dell PowerEdge 2200 server with Adaptec 2940U SCSI adapter
and software RAID1 from 2.2.11 to 2.2.12pre3 in an effort to have a kernel
with the TCP memory leak fixed. However, I had some problems with the
RAID arrays and even with the SCSI devices.

During bootup, the RAID arrays went through a forced check even though the
system was cleanly shut down. I confess I was in a hurry to get this
system up and didn't see all the bootup messages, but I believe RAID
failed to come up after the forced check. I definitely saw my disks
wouldn't mount; the message was 'Operation not supported' even for
non-RAID partitions. Everything worked fine after reverting to 2.2.11.
I'd be willing to try going to 2.2.12 again but first I wonder if I need
any higher version of the RAID tools. The version currently on that system
is raidtools 0.42.

Thanks,

--
Roy Bixler