RE: Abit BP6 UDMA issues.

Andrej Todosic (atodosic@ubisoft.qc.ca)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:03:15 -0400

i have a quantum fireballst udma 33 drive. Its not that fast but anyways.
i cant run udma33 either i get the exact same thing if i switch to udma 33 ,

i did turn dma on , and i did turn 32bit transfers on ...
but thats it.
that made me go up to 7.5 from 4-5 mb/sec ... since this is my boot dirve
i had to reboot about 7 times (every time i turned udma on )
and i finally gave up...

here is a listing from my hdparm :

[root@beast widow]# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
multcount = 0 (off)
I/O support = 1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
nowerr = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 8 (on)
geometry = 782/128/63, sectors = 6306048, start = 0

here are the settings i use :
grep hdparm *
grep: init.d: Is a directory
rc.local:hdparm -X12 /dev/hda
rc.local:hdparm -c1 /dev/hda
rc.local:hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
rc.local:hdparm -u1 /dev/hda

-X Set the IDE transfer mode for newer (E)IDE/ATA2 drives. This is
typically used in combination with -d1 when enabling DMA
to/from
a drive on a supported interface chipset (such as the Intel
430FX
Triton), where -X34 is used to select multiword DMA mode2
trans-
fers. Apart from that, use of this flag is seldom
necessary
since most/all modern IDE drives default to their fastest
PIO
transfer mode at power-on. Fiddling with this can be both
need-
less and risky. On drives which support alternate
transfer
modes, -X can be used to switch the mode of the drive
only.
Prior to changing the transfer mode, the IDE interface should
be
jumpered or programmed (see -p flag) for the new mode setting
prevent loss and/or corruption of data. Use this with
extreme
caution! For the PIO (Programmed Input/Output) transfer
modes
used by Linux, this value is simply the desired PIO mode
number
plus 8. Thus, a value of 09 sets PIO mode1, 10 enables
PIO
mode2, and 11 selects PIO mode3. Setting 00 restores the
drive's
"default" PIO mode, and 01 disables IORDY.