Re: Question about hard links...

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:12:48 +0100

Micahel Zappe writes ("Question about hard links..."):
> I am working on a file system driver for linux, and have run into a
> problem with hard links. I am attempting to put per-directory quota
> support into the filesystem, rather than per-volume, and hard links
> across quota-spaces causes some tricky semantic issues. My favored
> solutions are 1) eliminate hard links from the fs

Don't eliminate hard links if you want locking (eg. by xauth) to work.

>, or 2) cause link() to
> create a symbolic link instead, emulating it's predicted behavior.

I think it'll be very difficult to work out what the implications of
that would be. IMO, it would be better for the system call for links
across quota spaces to fail altogether rather than do something
different and surprising.

Peter