RE: 2.2.11 and tulip.c issues

Ruediger Oertel (ro@suse.de)
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:56:34 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:

> > > Do we need to download Donald's 0.91 and test it or what?
> >
> > Try it - the more data we get (especially Don gets) the better
> > Alan
>
> some data:
>
> i had a problem with 0.89 where tulip wouldn't (apparently) start (ie no
> lights on hub) up after a rmmod/insmod or soft boot. I'd have to power off
> the machine to get tulip to work again or else insmod de4x5 which would work
> no matter what state tulip had left things in.
>
> tulip 0.91 doesn't have this problem. it always works.
>
> nic is an integrated DEC 21143 chip on a Samsung UX motherboard.
Hi,

I've got several (about 5..7) of these machines running. One of them never worked,
so I guess the network interface is simply broken on this one.

For the others I've had some success with the de4x5 drivers.
tulip.c-0.89 - 0.90 never really worked successful.
tulip.c-0.91 gave me a link and pings, but I ended up with some data corruption,
which was fixed with 0.91e, so I don't trust the plain 0.91 too much.

Yesterday I had a machine that would get a link with both de4x5 and tulip0.91e,
but no ping packets got through. The debug option showed a transmit error on
each sent packet.

Strangely, the driver from 2.2.11 (the 0.89 with the additional hack) has the
machine up and running without problems since yesterday (kernel is 2.2.11,
the other end of the network-cable ends in a 3com workgroup-switch, so the
card probably does full duplex).

--
with kind regards (mit freundlichem Grinsen),
                                     Ruediger Oertel (ro@suse.de)