Re: 2.2.11 and tulip.c issues

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:26:10 -0800 (AKDT)

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Bernhard Kaindl wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Christopher E. Brown wrote:

> Here, NFS stops after a while with 0.89H 75% of my cards are affected,
> like yours.
>
> As said, a test with 0.89H gave same results here: On 7 from 9
> Systems, a network install of a default Linux system was not possible.
> NFS halted here. 0.90 worked well on all these systems.
>
> In case you don´t have 0.90, it is in 2.0.37 and I´should have diff for
> 2.2.11 at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/bk/kernel/for-2.2.11/tulip-0.90.diff
> within 24 hours.
>
> Also, there is a 0.91g tulip.c, which is quite good hidden in the second
> part of a link on the tulip development page.
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/test/tulip.c

There are 2 problems,

The driver included in ALL kernels does not work with newer cards and
need to be updated.

2.2.11 breaks ALL tulip drivers, both the included 89H version (that
is useless with a new card anyway) *AND* 91. I can cope with
switching out 89 or 91 when I use a newer card, but none of the tulip
drivers are woring with 2.2.11.

I have not yet tried the latest 91x yet, but flat 91 is known
to work fine with the cards, the breakage seems to come with 2.2.11

Thanks

---- First Law of System Requirements:
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about..."