Re: VFS: Disk change detected on device ide0(3,0)

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:19:51 +0200

On Tue, Aug 10 1999, Vernie T. Gloria wrote:

> A few minutes after a reboot, the following error messages appear
> on our system
>
> hda: ATAPI 8X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
> Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.55
> cdrom: open failed.
>
> followed by a repeating VFS error messages below.
>
> VFS: Disk change detected on device ide0(3,0)
> VFS: Disk change detected on device fd(2,0)
> end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
> cdrom: open failed.
>
> It all started when we upgraded to linux 2.2.x series and this time 2.2.11 has
> been released but still we have this problem. We don't do anything on our
> CD-ROM and floppy drive but the messages just keep on appearing from time to
> time.
> The system is a Compaq Proliant 800 with 1 Pentium 200 processor, 128MB RAM,
> 1 4GB SCSI drive, 1 IDE CD-ROM drive and a floppy drive. The system is using

Something must be accessing the CD-ROM - that particular message is
most ofter printed when something is opening the device for data
without a disc in. What do you have running?

> Redhat 6.0 distribution.
> I also noticed that it's only on Pentium Pro servers that the error message
> did appear. On our Pentium 130 system, no such error occur.

That wouldn't explain it.

> Anybody out there have any idea how to get away with such problem?

Try finding out what is accessing the device.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer