Re: 2.2.11 and aic7xxx

Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:16:47 -0400

Steve Davies wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just skipped from 2.2.9 to 2.2.11 (I didn't like some of the problem
> reports I saw for 2.2.10), and now I get LOADS of the following messages at
> boot time:
>
> (scsi1:0:1:0) Data overrun detected in Data-In phase, tag 1;
> Have seen Data Phase. Length=255, NumSGs=1.
> sg[0] - Addr 0xffc8480 : Length 255
> (scsi1:0:1:0) Data overrun detected in Data-In phase, tag 1;
> Have seen Data Phase. Length=255, NumSGs=1.
> sg[0] - Addr 0xffc8480 : Length 255
>
> Looking at the 2.2.11 patch, it updates aic7xxx, so I guess that's where the
> version change happened.
>
> The strange thing is that if I wait long enough, it eventually resets itself
> into a peaceful state and gets on with life. Something like this seems to
> happen every couple of releases/updates of the aic7xxx driver! I guess I chose
> the wrong hardware :-(
>
> To be more accurate the hardware is: Dual AIC-7895 Ultra, with Tagged queueing
> enabled in the driver (Version 5.1.19/3.2.4)
>
> Same setup for the previous driver has no problems. I've never foung any clues
> in the READMEs (Yes I DO read them when I get problems :-)

I've already been informed about this by someone else. You probably have
Western Digital Enterprise drive(s) on that SCSI bus or other similar drives.
Disabling target initiated Sync/Wide negotiation makes the errors all but
disappear. I'm working on getting one of these drives that do the target
initiated Sync/Wide negotiation so I can get this taken care of for 5.1.20.

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but