Re: Wireless ethernet?

Nat Lanza (magus@cs.cmu.edu)
10 Aug 1999 10:31:42 -0400

"Anthony Barbachan" <barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com> writes:

> Yes it is possible. I remember reading about an 11mbit solution in Reseller
> News a while back. The iBook supposedly also has a wireless solution though
> I'm not sure about the speed. Whether either solution is supported under
> Linux, I do not know.

Aironet (http://www.aironet.com/) makes some very nice 11MBps PCMCIA
cards with fairly decent Linux drivers. One of their resellers brought
a pile of them to USENIX and loaned them out, so I got to play with
one for a while. Nice range, good latency, fairly
reliable. Unfortunately, they're very expensive. If I remember
correctly, the cards are upwards of $500, and the base stations are at
least $1000.

If you're willing to drop down to 2MBps, there's always Lucent's
WaveLan series. It's much cheaper, though not quite as nice as the
Aironet stuff. It's also supported nicely by the pcmcia-cs package.

This is all fairly off-topic, though.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs